Wednesday 16 December 2009

my life currently

The probability of me being able to get to sleep any time in the next few hours is fairly low to be honest, so blogging is what I shall do.

Summarise my life over the last couple of days? Well, I've been dipping in and out of feeling pretty low, to relatively OK, to gritty and tragic again. An inordinate amount of time has been spent on Facebook (and trying not to be on Facebook), poetry has been read, Christmas tree has been decorated, and yet I have moped about, wished for things that can't be, and felt sorry for myself far more than I probably should.

I should really have been working on my two essays that are due in after the Christmas holidays - I did get a little bit of work done on one of them - but haven't really been able to concentrate much. Pathetic, I know.

A good thing that has come out of the past couple of days, however, is my acquisition of the soundtrack to the aforementioned Somers Town. Both the film and its soundtrack I literally cannot recommend enough. The music is only available by download (you can find the right site through the film's own website), but so so worth it. Just so lovely.

So, while I was inevitably moping about and debating whether to get out of bed this morning, I turned the album on and lay there grinning inanely. Trust me, it's fab.

As for this evening, I watched this film (for the millionth time) with my Mum with a bowl of soup and a hefty tub of Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough ice cream. And that was lovely too.

Now? Well, I will try (and inevitably fail) not to linger around pointlessly on Facebook, and try instead to read my book, listen to my new album, and try to get a grip.

2 comments:

  1. I lived on an estate called 'poets' corner', and the local pub was named after 'Byron'. I inadvertently learn't lots of 'great' poets' names. Perhaps I was destined to write poetry? Ha. What specifically are you studying? I'm due to start my third year in the OU in February, and can't wait to get my thoughts into it! Take care. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your estate was called Poets' Corner?! That is very cool.
    I'm studying English Lit (in my second year at Newcastle Uni), and we have studied some Byron this year actually. I love reading the Romantic poets, but I do think you kind of lose something when you start studying it. I think initial emotional response is really important with that kind of poetry.
    Good luck for your third year! What have you been studying so far?

    ReplyDelete