Wednesday 5 May 2010

I can't vote.

Well, that would be the case if I wasn't going home this evening.

Turns out that, even though I sent my form off on time, I'm not registered here in Newcastle as well as in Leeds. Ach! So, after a brief conversation with a severely brusque woman on the phone at Newcastle Council, it became apparent that there was "nothing we can do two days before the election" (i.e. "what do you expect me to do, you stupid, disorganised girl"). So, I've decided to go home today so I can vote tomorrow.

Why bother? Well because, cheesy as it sounds, women in the past went through a tad more than an inconvenient train journey in order to give me the privilege. So, off I shall go back to Leeds - which actually will be lovely because I can see my family - and off to the polling booth tomorrow to put a big fat cross in the box. And I shall relish the thought of women in 18th century outfits grinning as I take the pen in my hand.

3 comments:

  1. I love this xD
    I'll be envisaging the same thing now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, yay. Did you enjoy voting? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed...felt quite empowering, at least until the hung parliament emerged...

    My polling station was opposite my house so wasn't too difficult either! :P

    ReplyDelete